When I had a sketch I liked, I decided how to best translate my image to a card. Then, I transferred a completed drawing to a couple different pieces of linoleum (multiple colors mean multiple templates). Next I did some test prints on different colors of scrap paper. I found a black background too stark and spooky, but a cool grey looked just right with my red caped and black shodden folk as they travel to their winter destination.
I made about 45 of these 4.25" x 5.5" cards, and sent out around 20. I packaged the rest up for sale and have waited until today to release them on my Etsy site, and to reveal the "how I made this" process here.
|Adding white ink to my brayer.|
|With my linoleum in the frame, |
I drop down a protective cover for the edges, and began to roll.
|I lift the protective layer up |
so I can place my card on a clean surface.
|Aligning my card stock with the inked linoleum. |
A white bit of paper covers an inked area I didn't want to print.
|A brayer will apply an even pressure to the raised areas of linoleum.|
|A bone folder works well if you don't have a brayer, |
or if you need to focus on a spot that didn't print well.
|And of course, you can use a spoon in a pinch.|
|The result of my print.|
|Next, hand-painting my people!|
I actually flipped the card over
and used a small bone folder to print my people.
|Here's how they printed... walking down the path.|